I woke up today feeling quite moody and groggy because of a situation that I have no control over. I needed a pick me up aside from coffee to start my day. After dropping off my pea at school, I headed down to the hardware store to get some supplies to finish up a DIY that I have procrastinated on for so long. As I was walking into the store, there was a lady standing by the door, zoned out. I must have startled her when I said good morning. ”Huh !” she said. I walked up to her to see if she was alright. She shrugged and walked away from me. Do have a good day ma’m ! I waved as she walked towards the packing lot. It was a little awkward to be honest.
Well, I was talking to myself as usual at the paint aisle trying to figure out if my project needed a matte or oily finish. I felt a warm pat on my shoulder. I turned around, to my surprise it was the same lady. ” I just wanted to say THANK YOU,” she said. I smiled. For what ma’m, I asked. She said ” It’s not very often that people give a
shit about an old lady these days. I am deeply sorry for my reaction.” I am not one for small talk, but we talked for at least 15 minutes before we bade each other goodbye. Right there ! my day was made. She lifted up my spirit with the stories she shared. My worries became so minuscule in comparison. A little gesture could indeed go a long way. We get so insulated at times that we forget about others. With all the chaos going on around the world, we need to spread love and light. A little gesture from you could be that light at the end of the tunnel for someone in dire need.
Enough of my rambles, let’s get straight to what really made you click the tittle. Are you looking to steer clear from the regular boring salad ? Let me introduce you to my go-to sweet and savory salad for any season. This salad is so filling, you might skip the main dish. It’s so full of vibrant colors and packed with delicious flavors. With the help of some pantry goods, I was able to whip this up in minutes.
All you need to create this amazing bowl of Mediterranean goodness are ; Beans, corn, onion, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, boiled eggs and grilled chicken. The spicy grilled chicken adds a kick to this salad. See the recipe for the grilled chicken here MAPLE GLAZED ASPARAGUS AND CARROTS WITH CHICKEN BREAST . For that mild sweetness, I used a homemade vinaigrette to even things out. An ultimate blend of savory and sweet salad on your table in minutes.
PROTEIN PACKED BEAN SALAD
Make this sweet and Savory salad in minutes with few items from your pantry.
- -1 15oz canned Heinz baked bean
- -1 15oz canned organic black bean
- -1 15oz canned sweet corn
- -4 boiled eggs, sliced
- -1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- -1 cup sweet grape tomatoes, cut in half
- -1-2 cups grilled chicken chunks
- -1/2 cup Spanish olives
- -croutons (optional)
- FOR DRESSING
- -1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- -1/2 cup olive oil
- -2 teaspoons spicy Dijon mustard (plain works fine)
- -2 tablespoons honey
- -1 tablespoon garlic powder
- -1/2 teaspoon salt
- -1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Step 1 -Drain the bean and corn, rinse under cold running water. Heat in the microwave for 3 minutes, set aside to cool.
- Step 2 - Drain the baked beans and microwave for 2 minutes, set aside to cool.
- Step 3 - combine the beans, corn,onion, tomatoes, and grapes in a shallow bowl.
- Step 4 - Add all the ingredients for the dressing in a jar or bowl. shake or whisk thoroughly until combined.
- Step 5 - serve salad, add egg,chicken and croutons. drizzle dressing on top.