I am Maureen. Welcome to Worldly Treat!
I am the writer, photographer, videographer, and recipe developer for Worldly Treat! Here you'll discover family-friendly dishes, one-pot recipes, signature cocktails, holiday favorites, classic African dishes like my famous Nigerian Meat Pie, and many more!
How did I start this food blog?
Let's start from the beginning!
I was born and raised in Nigeria, often called the giant of Africa. I came to the United States to study. I met my wonderful husband in Dallas, and we have lived here ever since with our adorable children, Jason and Ava.
I took food and nutrition classes during high school and performed exceptionally well. Thanks to the many years of helping mum and dad prepare food for parties and events.
Worldly Treat started as a hobby in early 2016. For years, family and friends would ask me for recipe notes whenever I invited them for a meal. I would make grocery notes and meal prep guides for my friends to keep them on a healthy streak, as they used their busy lives as an excuse to eat out often.
A good friend told me how my daily meal prep helped him and his busy family and suggested I share it with the world. I did! I started an Instagram page that conveyed what I cooked daily, called "cookingwithmaur." People loved it, and my community began to grow. As a result, Worldly Treat was born.
Why Worldly Treat?
I've been fortunate to travel to many parts of the world, and I am obsessed with cuisines from around the globe. Many thanks to my dad, a professional chef specializing in French cuisine. He exposed my taste bud to intercontinental cuisine at an early age, and I've never stopped.
We are not all privileged to travel, but we all have a kitchen to create. So, taste the world right where you are! That has always been my motto.
What will you find on Worldly Treat?
- Easy, family-friendly dishes, one-pot recipes, signature cocktails, classic African dishes, holiday favorites, and much more!
- Simple and approachable recipes for every skill set. Whether it's your first time in the kitchen or you are a pro, I share step-by-step instructional photos to guide you in creating the best dish for your family and friends.
- An email newsletter where I share new recipes, valuable resources, giveaways, or any life updates. You'll receive a gift as a thank you for signing up for my newsletter.
- How to contact me
- All my favorite kitchen tools and food photography gear that I can't do without. (Linked in posts)
More About Maureen & the Blog
Being a parent is very tasking; creating a dish shouldn't be. These tried and true quick dishes are ready in 30 minutes or less; that's a win for any parent. Try these dishes for lunch or dinner: Chicken and fruit salad, Seared Salmon with sauteed fennel, Honey Soy Chicken, or Chicken Caprese salad.
Many people are beginning to venture further into international cuisines. 'Start with South Asian, South Indian, East African, West African, and many more! I’d say sample creative foods with intercontinental flavors that you haven’t tried before.
If you have any questions or recipe requests or would love to collaborate with me on an article or food photography work, please email me through my contact page.
Some other services I offer are:
Food photography for businesses
Recipe development for social media
Videography for social media or marketing purposes
I currently shoot with a Canon 90D. I use these lenses interchangeably: Canon f/1.4 50mm lens (Nifty fifty, I use this all the time), a canon f/2.8 24-70mm, a canon f/4-5.6 55-250mm, and a kit lens.
Fun facts about Maureen
- I speak 4 languages ( Igbo, Yoruba, beginner French, and English). You can add West African "Pidgin" if broken English counts.
- I love PINEAPPLE on my pizza! ( sorry, not sorry 😃)
- I am a home, bud. It's a chore to go out if it isn't necessary. Imagine how much I thrived during the lockdown.
- I love to walk around my home in the dark, which drives my darling husband crazy.
- I eat avocado and egg toast at least 4 times a week, thanks to my unremitting first pregnancy cravings (6yrs+)
Maureen's Favorite Recipes
Readers are mainly loving these recipes right now, and you might too!
I have been featured in some media outlets through the years, including:
** Disclaimer: Some recipes might be modified to suit my taste. I am not trying to take away from a particular culture's tradition. If some ingredients are not readily available where I reside, I will substitute for something similar or leave it out if it will make a big difference. Thanks for your understanding.
If you'd like to link to any of my recipes, you are welcome to do so. You can use one image from my website and a do-follow link to my worldlytreat.com website.