This Greek chicken kebab bowl couldn't be any simpler to whip up. It tastes great on its own but is perfect when paired with a bowl of rice and grilled vegetables. Enjoy it as a side dish or accompanied by other dishes at a summer dinner party.
This chicken recipe is made with a simple, fresh Greek chicken marinade and finished with a minty cilantro dressing.
Why you should make this recipe
- This grilled Greek chicken kebobs recipe is not just a mouthful of juicy, tender chicken bits, but it's also very easy to make. It's ready in less than 30 minutes.
- We use simple ingredients for the freshest flavors.
- Served with your choice of rice and grilled vegetables, it's a healthy bowl the whole family can enjoy.
- The herby yogurt dressing is an added bonus not just for this Mediterranean chicken kabobs, but for other salad recipes or healthy lunch bowls like my quinoa salad.
- Chicken Breast: The main ingredient used for this grilled Greek chicken is breast. Make sure you are using boneless chicken for this recipe. Boneless chicken meat is juicy; however, if you prefer using chicken thigh meat, that is perfectly fine.
- Lemon: Fresh lemon juice adds a vibrant and citrusy flavor to the dish.
- Onion: This is used to tenderize the chicken. It also adds a caramelization to the final outcome.
- Garlic: fresh or powdered garlic is fine. Please note that there might be burnt bits of garlic around the edges of the chicken as opposed to using ground garlic.
- Oregano: Oregano has a mint aroma, is sweet, and has a slightly peppery flavor. If you don't have fresh oregano, feel free to use the dried herbs.
- Greek Yogurt: preferably plain Greek yogurt. It is creamy, healthy, and has a hint of sour flavor. You can equally use this to marinate the chicken for more tender meat.
- Mint: Fresh mint leaves are known for their aroma and menthol-like flavors. The flavor lingers on and marries seamlessly with the rest of the ingredients for the Greek chicken kebab recipe.
- Cilantro: It adds freshness and a slightly citrusy flavor to the dressing. You can substitute with fresh leaf parsley if you don't have one in hand.
Please refer to the recipe card for the exact measurements.
Add more herbs and spices like red pepper flakes and cumin to add flavor to the chicken.
- Marinade the chicken breast with some Greek yogurt for an even tender and juicy meat.
- Pair this Greek chicken kebab dish with your favorite vegetables like onions, bell peppers, carrots, corn, etc.
- You can use full-fat yogurt instead of Greek yogurt as well. Add a tablespoon or two of mayonnaise or cream for more flavor and richness.
How to make Kebobs
Step 1: Cut the chicken into about 1-2 inches cubes.
Step 2: Make the marinade
Combine the ingredients in a food processor and blend.
- Step 3: Combine the chicken with the marinade and place it in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours.
- Step 4: Skewer chicken and vegetables. Grill on high heat, turning frequently to prevent burning.
Creamy Mint Cilantro dressing
- Step 5: Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor or blender.
- Step 6: Blend until it's smooth. Transfer into a serving cup or bowl. Set aside in the refrigerator.
How to Make Shish Kebob in the oven
If you don't have a grill, you can equally make these chicken kebabs in the oven. Preferably the broiler or over high heat. The goal is to get a perfect golden hue on the exterior and a juicy interior. Follow the steps on the recipe card. Instead of placing them on the grill, continue with the steps below.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and place the threaded meats on the pan.
- preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit or broil on high
- Bake in the oven for 25- 28 minutes or until it's cooked through. Make sure to flip the chicken halfway through.
What do you serve Shish Kebab with?
Shish kebab goes with a plethora of dishes depending on the type of animal protein used. Serve kebabs alongside the following:
- Grilled vegetables like my sauteed delicata squash
- Baked potatoes
- In a pita or tortilla wrap with lettuce and grilled vegetables
- Condiments: try them with your favorite dips or pesto
- Corn casserole
You'll need an indoor or outdoor grill for this recipe. The oven is equally fine.
Enjoy immediately! If you happen to have leftovers, wrap them in cling film with aluminum foil. Refrigerate the Greek chicken kebab bowl for up to 2 days or freeze for up to a month.
Thaw at room temperature or reheat in the oven wrapped in foil at 350°F for 10 minutes or until warm.
If you do not like cilantro, you can use flat-leaf parsley in place of cilantro for the dressing.
You can serve the Greek chicken skewer with other types of grains like quinoa, beans, and couscous or enjoy it on its own.
Remove the chicken from the skewers and serve it with salad or as a wrap.
Love Chicken? Here are more Chicken Recipes to Try:
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Never leave cooking food unattended
Frequently Asked Question
Because chicken cooks faster, you can cook it for about 6 to 8 minutes on a single side. Cook until the top gets a golden color and the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
The ideal temperature to grill chicken kebobs is 375 degrees F to 400 degrees F, i.e., medium-high heat. Make sure the grill is fully heated before placing the chicken kebobs on it.
You can serve chicken kebab with Greek yogurt dressing or any of your favorite dressings. You can also serve it alongside rice, salad, etc.
Both kebab and kebob come from the same word. It is just a different pronunciation of the same work. Where kebab is a Middle Eastern or Arabic pronunciation, kebob is an Armenian or Iranian pronunciation.
There you have it! I hope you give this chicken shish kabob recipe a try. Share a bite with us on our social media If you make this recipe using the hashtag worldlytreat(#worldlytreat), we'd love to join the soirée. Also, don't forget to pin it for later. Chat soon?
PEACE & LOVE
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your continuous support.
Greek Chicken Kebab Bowl
- grill or oven
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Juice of a lemon (about 3tbs)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 large purple onions, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1 large red pepper, seeded, cubed
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded, cubed
Mint yogurt dressing
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaf with sprigs, packed (or parsley)
- Cut the chicken lenghtwise. Then cut into cubes, aboutt an inch in size1 lb chicken breast
- Prepare the marinade for the chicken. Combine the olive oil, 1 large purple onion, lemon juice, garlic cloves, oregano, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a processor. Give it a few pulses.4 tablespoons olive oil, divided, Juice of a lemon, 2 garlic cloves, 2 large purple onions, divided, 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- If using bamboo skewers, immerse them in warm water for 30 minutes before assembling.
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator and start assembling the kabobs on wooden or metal skewers. Set aside.
- Assemble the cubed Red and green bell pepper, and the remainder large purple onion on the skewer, set aside.1 large red pepper, seeded, cubed, 1 large green bell pepper, seeded, cubed, 2 large purple onions, divided
- Once the grill is heated, brush oil on the grates and place the skewered chicken on top leaving about 2 inches apart.
- Cook the kabobs for 12-15 minutes, turning them every 3-4 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165ºF.
- Grill the skewered vegetables for 2 minutes on each side. Remove it from the grill and set aside.
- Remove The grilled chicken from the grill and let rest for 8-10 minutes before serving.
For the dressing
- Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Blend until it’s smooth. Transfer into a serving cup or bowl. Set aside in the refrigerator while the meat cooks.1 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped, ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaf with sprigs, packed
- Assemble the bowl. Place the cooked rice, grilled chicken and vegetables in a wide bowl. Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.
- If you don't have metal skewers, use wooden skewers. Immerse it in warm water and allow soaking for 1 minute.
- Cut the chicken into equal-sized cubes for even cooking.