Jump to Recipe
This airy, melt in your mouth, coconut chocolate mousse with a maraschino cherry whip is the best dessert to seal the end of a long work week.
Valentine’s day is in a few weeks, and there is no better way to show someone how much you care than making something so good that brings the belly some tingling spark. This delicious cup of happiness might do just that. Of course, there’s flowers and whatnot, but that’s so 2000 and late-yeah, I said it.
Among the many different types of desserts, I love a joyful cup of mousse. Whether it is chocolate mousse or strawberry, its silky texture that melts in your mouth leaves a lingering effect on the tastebuds. Especially on a hot day, a chilled serving of mousse makes the spirit come alive.
I love maraschino cherries; they are so visually appealing. Thanks to my love for sweets, I think these cherries are divine, especially the ones from Mezzetta (Not an active sponsored post). Not only does it taste sweet, but it’s also made with natural flavors. It is no secret that chocolate and cherry pairs up perfectly well. It is like a match made in heaven.
So, for this recipe, I used a combination of cream, chocolate, cherries, and a handful of ingredients to give this classic a spin.
Because I use semi-sweet chocolate for my mousse, the sweetness of cherries balances out everything. In other words, this desert is not overpowered by the sweetness of the preserved cherries. Another unique ingredient that adds tones of texture to this mousse is the coconut cream (I swear by the Thai Kitchen brand). Along with the heavy cream, you get a mousse that is rich and thick. So, one thing is clear! This mousse isn't going to be like any other recipes you have tried. Thanks to the coconut cream, the texture of this mousse is on point! It is delightful and will make you fall in love with it!
Whether it is a date night, a dinner party, or a hot weekend, you can prepare this chocolate dessert as a special treat for yourself and your loved one. The flavor, texture, and richness will make you keep coming back to it!
So, indulge in the deliciousness of the coconut chocolate mousse and satisfy your sugar craving!
HOW TO MAKE COCONUT CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
- Place coarsely chopped chocolate bar in a glass bowl. Add salt and fine confection's sugar. Place the bowl on a pot with boiling water underneath and stir until the chocolate starts to melt. Once the chocolate melts completely, remove the bowl from heat and set it aside.
- In an electric mixer bowl, add heavy cream, orange liqueur, coconut cream, and whip on medium speed for 5 minutes. Scoop out ½ cup whipped cream and set aside for later use.
- Pour the remaining whipped cream in melted chocolate and fold lightly. Make sure you don’t over mix it; otherwise, the cream will split.
- Scoop the prepared mouse in dessert cups. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes until they are thoroughly chilled.
- In the leftover whipped cream, pour maraschino juice and chopped cherries, and fold lightly.
- Add about a dollop of this mixture over chilled mouse serving.
- Sprinkle shaved chocolate on top and serve.
Cook's tip: Make sure you don't over-whip the cream, or it won't have the smooth texture it needs.
You can also melt chocolate in the microwave. Melt at 30-second intervals, if you are using low power or 20 seconds for a higher power. stir at it interval.
I hope you’ll give this simple coconut chocolate dessert a try. If you are looking for other treats to sample this valentine's day, give this Italian zabaglione recipe a go or this Creme De cacao Vodka Martini.
Share a bite with us on our social media if you make this treat using the hashtag worldlytreat(#worldlytreat), we’d love to join the soirée. Also, don’t forget to pin it for later. Chat soon?
PEACE & LOVE
coconut chocolate mousse
- 8 oz chocolate bars, coarsely chopped ( I used a combination of bittersweet and semi-sweet)
- ¼ cup finely ground sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup coconut cream (good quality)
- 1 tablespoon Orange liqueur
- 1-2 tablespoons maraschino cherries juice
- 7 maraschino cherries, finely chopped
- Maraschino cherries and chocolate shavings to garnish
- Place the chocolate bars in a bowl. Add sugar and salt. Melt chocolate over a double boiler on low heat, continually stirring until it’s completely melted, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whip together the heavy cream, coconut cream, and orange liqueur in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium-high speed for 3 - 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Remove ½ cup of whipped mixture and set aside for later.
- Fold in the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture, careful not to over-mix.
- Spoon the mousse into individual serving glass. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 15-30 mins or until set.
- Fold in the juice and chopped maraschino cherries into the remaining whipped cream. Add dollops over the chilled mousse. Garnish with a maraschino cherry and chocolate shavings. Enjoy!