This airy, melt-in-your-mouth coconut chocolate mousse is decadent and full of intense chocolate flavor. This is the best dessert to serve up on valentine's day or to seal the end of a long work week.
Why you'll love this recipe
- You only need 10 minutes of prep time, then chilling until it's set. It has a silky texture that melts on your tongue.
- It's not too sweet.
- Every spoonful has a nice bite of maraschino cherries.
- Just like my coconut pumpkin mousse, It's light and airy.
- There is no use of gelatin or raw eggs. If you'd rather have authentic mousse, this mousse au chocolate doesn't disappoint.
- No need for fancy equipment. All you need for this chocolate recipe are a bowl, a whisk (hand or stand), a spatula, and steaming water or microwave.
- It's great for the whole family!
This recipe is a fun spin on the classic mousse au chocolate (a.k.a mousse de chocolat)
Here are the main ingredients you'll need to whip up this coconut cream chocolate mousse:
- Chocolate: I used a combination of bittersweet and semi-sweet chocolate. Whichever you use, make sure it's of good quality.
- Heavy Cream: this will add richness to the mousse cups together with the coconut cream.
- Coconut cream: Use full-fat coconut milk, preferably the Thai Kitchen brand. Place it in the refrigerator overnight to allow enough time to set. Scoop the top hardened cream portion and save the bottom liquid for a smoothie or tea. If you can't find
- Cherries: I used juice and cherries from a jar of Mezzetta maraschino cherries. Aside from flavor, it adds a nice hue to the whipped topping.
- Place a saucepan with water over medium-low heat and bring to a simmer. Place coarsely chopped chocolate bar, salt, and fine-granulated sugar into a large heat-proof bowl. Place over the simmering pot making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir frequently until the chocolate melts completely.
2. Beat the heavy cream, coconut cream, and orange liqueur in a stand mixer or hand mixer on medium-high speed for about 5-6 minutes or until medium peaks form. Scoop out ½ cup whipped cream and set aside for later use.
3. Gently fold the whipped cream from the bowl into the melted chocolate, taking care not to over-mix; otherwise, the cream will split.
4. Scoop the prepared mousse into individual dessert cups. Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or until set.
5. When it's almost time to serve, beat the remaining heavy cream until it's fully whipped.
6. Pour maraschino juice and chopped cherries in the leftover whipped cream, and fold lightly.
7. Add about a dollop of this mixture over the chilled mousse cups, then sprinkle with shaved chocolate and serve.
- Short for time? Melt chocolate in the microwave. Melt at 20-second intervals if you are using low power or 20 seconds for a higher power. stir at intervals to prevent the chocolate from scorching. Remove it from the microwave when it's just about melted.
- Fold in the cream, Do Not mix, as this will alter the texture of the mousse.
- Plan and allow enough time for chilling if serving at a party or other gatherings.
Whether it is a date night, a dinner party, or a hot weekend, you can prepare this chocolate dessert as a special treat for yourself and your loved ones. The flavor, texture, and richness will have you making rounds!
I hope you’ll give this simple coconut chocolate dessert a try.
Share a bite with us on our social media if you make this treat using the hashtag worldlytreat(#worldlytreat); we’d love to join the soirée. Also, don’t forget to pin it for later. Chat soon?
Love sweet treats? Try these delicious desserts
PEACE & LOVE
coconut chocolate mousse
- 8 oz chocolate bars, coarsely chopped ( I used a combination of bittersweet and semi-sweet)
- ¼ cup finely ground sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups heavy cream divided
- ½ cup coconut cream (good quality like Thai Kitchen brand)
- 1 tablespoon Orange liqueur (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons maraschino cherries juice
- 7 maraschino cherries, finely chopped
- Maraschino cherries and chocolate shavings to garnish
- Place a saucepan with water over medium-low heat and bring to a simmer. Place coarsely chopped chocolate bar, salt, and fine-granulated sugar into a large heat-proof bowl. Place over the simmering pot making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir frequently until the chocolate melts completely. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whip together 1¼ cup heavy cream, coconut cream, and orange liqueur in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium-high speed for 5-6 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture, careful not to over-mix.
- Spoon the mousse into individual serving glasses. Cover loosely with cling film, and chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours or until set.
- When it's almost time to serve, beat the ½ cup of heavy cream until it's fully whipped.
- Fold in the juice and chopped maraschino cherries into the whipped cream. Add dollops over the chilled mousse. Garnish with maraschino cherries and chocolate shavings. Enjoy!
Oh yum! Looks amazing. I love maraschino cherries!
You had me at chocolate!
Perfect for Valentines Day!
I love the combo of coconut and chocolate. Such classic delicate flavors! Plus that cherry whip!! YUM!
Such a delicious dessert!
Such a chocolatey and delicious desert!
Delightful dessert recipe! This one is a keeper!!
Such a great recipe! So delicious!
Oh, yes please! So decadent and super tasty!
Looks delicious love this