Crisp, tender, and tasty, this air fryer coconut shrimps make a delicious snack or appetizer. Serve them with creamy mayo and sriracha dip or alongside potatoes with dill sour cream if you prefer.
Why should you make this recipe?
You should make this coconut bacon air fryer shrimps because it is;
- Ready in less than 20 minutes
- Enveloped in crunchy coconut bacon bits
- Perfect snack idea for seafood lovers
- You get to skip the oil required for frying the shrimps by making it in the air fryer.
- Whether it is game day, movie night, or dinner, you can serve this coconut bacon air fryer shrimps as a snack or side. You can enjoy both fresh and frozen breaded shrimp in an air fryer!
- Shrimp: if you can't find freshly caught shrimp, use a frozen one. I use a jumbo size. Feel free to use whatever size you have on hand.
- All-purpose flour is used to help make the breading stick to the shrimp. I have made this recipe with only breadcrumbs, and it came out unbreaded if that's a word.
- Bread crumbs: bread crumbs add an extra crunch to the breading. I like to use Italian-style bread crumbs for an added flavor.
- Coconut flakes: unsweetened coconut shreds work best for this recipe since we already add brown sugar to the soy sauce.
- Cajun seasoning: enhance the taste of the crumbs with cajun seasoning like "slap ya, mama," if you can't find this brand, it's okay to use any cajun seasoning that doesn't have a ton of salt. You can equally make one at home.
- Lemon: use the zest of a lemon to add citrus flavor
- Eggs: this acts as a binding for the flour and breadcrumbs.
- Soy sauce: this adds an umami flavor to the shrimp
See the recipe card for quantities.
To make this coconut breaded air fryer shrimps, you'll need four wide bowls or two bowls with a large sheet pan to keep things moving quickly.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray, then reheat at 400F for 8 mins.
- First, you start by removing any excess water from the peeled shrimp. Pat with a paper towel, set aside.
- Next, combine the soy sauce and brown sugar in one bowl. Whisk the egg in a different bowl, making sure there is room to dip the shrimp. Combine the coconut shreds, seasoning, bacon bits, and lemon zest and place on a sheet pan or wide bowl. Place the flour into a separate bowl or on the other half of the sheet pan.
COAT THE SHRIMP
- Dip the shrimp in the soy sauce mix, and tap slightly to remove excess liquid.
- Toss the shrimp in the flour
- Dip the shrimp in the egg mixture
- Then toss in the coconut blend to coat thoroughly.
- Set aside on a cooling rack or directly into the air fryer basket as soon as you've coated half a dozen.
How to make Coconut bacon shrimps in the oven
You can bake the shrimps in the oven if you don't have an air fryer. There are two ways to bake shrimp in the oven.
One is by broiling the shrimps. Set the broiler on high, and line a sheet pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray, then arrange the shrimp over the pan on a single layer. Broil for 4-5 minutes, flipping halfway through.
The other method is baking the shrimp in the oven.
- Start by preheating the oven to 425°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Place a cooling rack on the sheet pan and spray with cooking oil. Line the breaded shrimp on a single layer on the sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Flip halfway through and spray with cooking spray.
If you love this recipe, then you have to try my baked lemon pepper chicken wings recipe. It is also an air fryer favorite.
How to store crispy air fryer shrimp?
There are so many ways you can store these shrimps. You can refrigerate the air fryer shrimps with coconut by refrigerating them in an air-tight container. They will last for up to 3 days. You can heat them in an air fryer to crisp them up again.
You can also freeze these shrimps. Place them in a single layer in a tray and flash freeze for about 4 hours. Take the tray out and transfer them to a plastic zip-lock bag. Freeze them for up to a month. You can reheat them in the air fryer without thawing them first.
If you are vegan or not a seafood lover, you can also make a look-alike shrimp recipe with king mushrooms or sturdy vegetables. There are many options out there to explore.
What Equipment do you need for cooking shrimp in an air fryer?
All you need is a premium quality air fryer. An air fryer is a fantastic product that has revolutionized cooking. It gives you perfectly cooked and crispy dishes without using oil. The air fryer has taken over the frying and baking techniques.
What to pair with Coconut bacon Air fryer shrimp?
This Air fryer shrimp recipe is versatile. As mentioned earlier, you can serve it as a snack or a side dish. Here are a few dishes you can pair with this recipe:
•Dips and sauces: You can serve it with your favorite dips and sauces. Whether guacamole, ranch dip, cheese dip, or chili garlic sauce, you can choose whatever you love. I used a mayo-sriracha sauce combo, and it was divine.
•Rice: Serve it with cooked rice. The crunch from the shrimp goes well with rice.
•Noodles: You can also top noodles with air fryer shrimps for a mouthful of flavor.
•Coleslaw: Serve it with refreshing green or red cabbage coleslaw.
•French fries: French fries are a must with every snack. The crispy coconut shrimp in the air fryer and French fries are like bread and butter.
Frequently Asked Questions
Strawberry cheesecake ice cream is made of heavy cream, cream cheese, graham crackers, sweeteners, and strawberries.
Yes. You can use a tablespoon of cream cheese to 8. oz per cup of whipping cream or milk.
Rhubarb is a spring vegetable. So you can find fresh produce from April till late July. However, you can find its frozen version in markets as well. It is available all around the year.
Absolutely! Freezing rhubarb is easy. Simply cut them in equal sizes, place them in a single layer on a baking tray, and flash freeze them for 4 to 6 hours. Now place them in freezer-safe bags and freeze for up to 12 months.
You can use rhubarb in every possible way. Just remember to wash the stalks to get rid of dirt. Dry them and cut them into equal sizes. Roast, cook, or bake them.
Peeling rhubarb depends on the time of the produce. Early-season produce tends to be soft, so you don't need to peel it. However, mid-season produce gets fibrous and a bit tough. As a result, you might need to peel them for maximum flavor.
It takes no more than 10 minutes to cook shrimp in an air fryer. Flip the shrimps halfway into the cook to get the best results.
Yes, you can quickly cook frozen shrimp in an air fryer. It will take about 10 minutes to cook the frozen shrimp to perfection, and you don't have to thaw them first.
I hope you give this crispy air fryer coconut shrimp recipe a try. Share a spoon with us on social media using the hashtag (#worldlytreat). We’d love to join the soirée. Don't forget to pin it for later. Chat soon?
PEACE & LOVE
Tools Used in this Recipe
Airfryer Coconut shrimps
- baking sheet or bowl
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- ½ tablespoon cajun seasoning (I used slap ya mama)
- 2 bacon strips , cooked, chopped to bits
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs , room temperature
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp , peeled, deveined, tails intact.
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoons brown sugar
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray, then reheat at 400F for 8 mins.Place the flour in a shallow bowl or a baking sheet.
- Combine the bread crumbs, coconut flakes, bacon, cajun seasoning, and lemon zest and place on a sheet pan or wide bowl.
- Pat dry the shrimp with a paper towel and set aside.
- Next, combine the soy sauce and brown sugar in a bowl. Whisk the egg in a different bowl, making sure there is room to dip the shrimp.
COAT THE SHRIMP
- Dip the shrimp in the soy sauce mix, and tap slightly to remove excess liquid. Toss the shrimp in the flour. Dip the shrimp in the egg mixture.Then toss it in the coconut blend to coat completely. Set aside on a cooling rack or place directly into the air fryer basket as soon as you’ve coated half a dozen.
- Place the shrimp on a single layer in the air fryer basket, spray with cooking oil, and bake for 10-12 minutes or until they are golden brown, making sure to flip the shrimp at intervals. Serve alongside a dipping sauce of your choosing