Butterfly pea tea latte is a delicious latte made with coconut milk, honey, and a unique ingredient known as butterfly pea flowers. This butterfly pea milk tea tastes refreshing, but its beautiful blue color is the main highlight.
Pair with this fall-fragrant pumpkin pecan waffles for a weekend breakfast or brunch.
Reasons to love this recipe
- It is super easy to make and takes about 7 minutes.
- You can enjoy this butterfly pea coconut latte and beat the heat on a hot summer day. Steep this butterfly pea tea flower in hot water and enjoy it without milk.
- Apart from the flavors, this tea also has several health benefits.
- Add spoonfuls of my lemon with honey concentrate for a tangy flavor.
What is a Butterfly pea latte?
Butterfly pea latte is a latte made from butterfly pea flowers tea leaves. These are widely used in Thailand. The leaves don't have much of a flavor, but they turn the liquid blue. Because of the beautiful blue color, it is quite an attractive ingredient. However, it possesses several health benefits. It is a herbal caffeine-free tea latte you can enjoy whenever you want.
What are Butterfly pea powder benefits?
There are several benefits of butterfly pea powder. These are:
- It is said to enhance your moods. It also influences positivity, allowing you to feel positive emotions all day long.
- It also improves your mood by reducing stress levels. As a result, it helps in combating anxiety symptoms.
- It refreshes your mind and provides you with energy. It is also said to improve your stamina.
- Butterfly pea powder also aids in weight loss by naturally burning calories.
How to make a butterfly pea tea latte?
You can easily make a butterfly pea latte with either fresh, dried, or powdered butterfly peas flowers. But first, you must steep the Butterfly pea flowers in hot water for about 5 minutes or until it is completely cool. If you are using the powder, follow the same steps in the recipe card to steep the tea for 3 mins.
Next, you strain it and pour it into a tall serving glass. Add honey and ice cubes, and top it up with frothed milk; I prefer coconut milk as it tones down the woody taste of the pea flower. Use full-fat milk or a mix if you intend to have the frothy top as pictured below. Ensure to warm the milk before frothing, yielding nice, frothed milk.
Stir and enjoy! You can add different ingredients like vanilla extract (I tried it with Madagascar vanilla bean syrup, and it was to die!), chai spice, or cinnamon. Try other flavors of butterfly pea tea recipes to see what you fancy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some answers to frequently asked questions.
Butterfly pea milk doesn't have a taste of its own. Apart from the vibrant blue color, it is slightly woody and earthy. Because of the subtle flavor, you can use different butter pea milk tea recipes to add more flavor.
- What does Butterfly pea tea taste like?
Butterfly pea tea has a slightly earthy and woody flavor. The flavor is far less as compared to green tea. It has a slightly sweet aroma as well. Depending upon the ingredients you add, you can enhance the tea taste according to your liking.
- Is Butterfly pea tea good for weight loss?
Yes, butterfly pea tea is perfect for weight loss. It is a herbal tea that helps in burning fat. It does that by increasing metabolism and decreasing cholesterol. As a result, you burn more calories naturally.
More Delicious Recipes to try:
Looking for more scrumptious drink recipes to try? Check out these tasty recipes for:
I hope you’ll give this butterfly pea tea recipe a try. Share a bite with us on our social media. If you make this recipe using the hashtag worldlytreat(#worldlytreat), we’d love to join the soirée. Also, don’t forget to pin it for later. Chat soon?
PEACE & LOVE
Butterfly Pea Tea Latte
- Milk frother
- kettle or tea pot
- ¼ cup Butterfly pea flower (fresh or dried)
- 2 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons honey or to taste (any sweetener works fine)
- 1 cup Coconut milk (from a can of coconut milk)
- dash of ground cinnamon (optional)
- Ice cubes
- First, steep the butterfly pea flowers in hot water for 5 mins. Strain and set aside to cool completely.
- Warm the coconut milk with dash of cinnamon (if using) in the microwave, about 45 seconds to a minute. You can equally hit it in a saucepan until tiny bubbles begin to form around the edges.Dip the frothing wand in the milk and turn it on. Whisk by swirling the wand continuously for up to a minute or until it’s frothed at the top.
- Pour the honey into a tall serving glass, add ice cubes, cooled pea tea, and top with frothed milk. Give it a nice Stir and Serve immediately.