This bowl of warm comfort Leek and parsnip soup is singing with nutritiousness. Hints of slightly caramelized leeks excite the palate, while the nutty coconut milk and sweet, creamy, oat milk gives the soup a nice balance.
When the weather begins to get chilly, I start craving a no-fuss creamy soup. While my easy butternut squash soup is my go-to, this leek soup recipe is my second favorite.
Although this bowl of French leek soup is dairy-free and vegan, you can always make it your own, depending on your diet restrictions.
Why should you make this recipe?
It's great for the whole family.
Diary-free, gluten-free, and vegan.
This leek and Parsnip soup are quick, tasteful, and a healthy version of leek soup.
It is super easy to make, vegan, creamy, and hearty.
This vegan recipe ticks all the boxes for flavor and nutrients among the many vegetarian leek recipes out there.
Here are the ingredients you'll need to make this soup.
Olive oil: Any neutral-tasting oil works fine
Sweet onion: I prefer sweet or white onion for this dish. If you only have the purple onion, that's fine too. Cook it until it's translucent.
Shallots: This is used for added flavor; if you don't have it, it's okay to skip it as the difference isn't primarily noticeable.
Leeks and Parsnip: It's a leek and parsnip soup, so by all means, use leeks and parsnip.
Vegetable stock: vegetable broth or stock works for this recipe. You can equally use water; if you do, adjust seasoning to taste.
Coconut milk: Use good quality canned coconut milk like the Thai kitchen brand.
Oat milk: You'll find this in the dairy aisle of your grocery store. I used the Oatsome brand, and the taste is terrific. If this isn't vegan, use heavy cream.
Cheese: This is a vegan soup, hence the vegan cheese. Feel free to use real cheese like Monterey Jack or sharp cheddar.
Garlic & ginger: if you don't have fresh garlic cloves or ginger, use garlic ginger paste instead. I Prefer their fresh taste for this dish compared to the dried version of these root vegetables.
Spices & seasonings: I used a combination of fresh thyme, ground Coriander, garam Masala, black pepper, and salt.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to make vegetarian Leek soup
- To make this healthy leek soup, you’ll start by cooking the onion, and shallots.
- Once the onion has soften slightly, you’ll add the leek, parsnip, garlic, ginger, and thyme. Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Next, add the spices and cook some more.
- Deglaze the pan with the stock, then add Season with salt, and cook some more.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and remove from heat.
- The next step is to purée the leek and parsnip mix to liquid. If you have a blender or food processor that can tolerate hot liquid, then go ahead and puree. If not, set aside to cool.
- Blend it in batches if you have a small blender as this yields 4 servings. If the soup consistency is too thick, thin with more stock or milk.
- Return to the stove and cook on low heat. Add the cheese and stir until it’s melted. Serve
How to store leek soup?
Store leek soup by cooling it down and then pouring it in an airtight container. Refrigerate, and the soup will last for up to 3 days. You can also freeze leek soup, but the oat milk can separate, giving it a weird texture.
What goes well with leek soup?
There are so many sides you can serve with leek soup. However, the one essential side is bread. You can serve it with any bread. Whether it is classic French bread, garlic bread, or cheesy dinner rolls, it is just the perfect side with this leek soup recipe.
Moreover, you can also serve it with a fresh garden salad of green salad. Roasted vegetables are also a good option. Lastly, you can serve it with breadsticks or croutons.
Looking to change this leek and parsnip soup recipe by substituting a few things? We have a few fantastic ideas that will help you achieve perfect flavors. These are:
- Parsnip: Substitute parsnip with turnips, carrots, or celery roots.
- Dairy: You can use dairy ingredients like cheese and full-fat milk instead of plant-based ingredients.
- Herbs: Use tarragon, oregano, and sage for this soup.
I used a heavy-duty blender to purée the vegetables. You can use a food processor or immersion blender as well. (affiliate link)
Other Delicious soup recipes to try:
What part of Leek do you use for soup?
Although all parts of the Leek are edible, the white part and the light green part are widely used for making soups. Moreover, you can also cook the dark green part of the leeks. However, you have to cook it a bit longer to tenderize it. The dark green part of leeks is widely used in making stocks and broths. However, the white and light green part is more versatile, and you can use it for a lot of different dishes like soups, stews, etc.
What do leeks pair well with?
Leeks are just as versatile as onions. Therefore they pair well with several ingredients. If you use leeks for making a soup, they pair very well with tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, root vegetables like parsnip and mushrooms.
Leek's sweet flavor pairs so well with herbs like tarragon, chives, oregano, and thyme. Moreover, they also taste simply perfect with chicken and pork. You can also pair it with daily products like cream and cheese.
Creamy Leek and Parsnip soup
- blenderand sauce pan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 2 large leeks, cleaned, trimmed, and chopped (white part only)
- 1 lb parsnip, chopped (skin intact, about 3)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, minced ( about 1¼ teaspoon)
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1¼ cups coconut milk (from one 15.oz can)
- ¾ cup oat milk
- 1¼ teaspoons salt or to taste
- ¾ cup vegan cheese
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan and add the chopped onion and shallot. Cook gently over medium heat for 3 mins, occasionally stirring to avoid burning.
- Add the leek, parsnip, garlic, ginger, and thyme. Sauté for another 10 minutes. Stirring frequently.
- Next, add the coriander, garam masala, and black pepper. Stir to combine. Continue to cook for another 4 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with one cup of the vegetable stock, then add the rest of the stock, Oatsome, and coconut milk. Season with salt, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and remove from heat. Allow to cool or proceed to the next step if your blender allows hot liquid.
- Place the parsnip mixture into a heavy-duty blender, and puree (make sure to blend in batches if you have a small blender). Check the consistency and adjust with more stock or milk, depending on how you like it.
- Return the pureed soup into a clean pot. Cook on medium low heat. Add the cheese, and stir until it’s completely melted.
- To serve: Ladle the soup into individual bowls. Drizzle some olive oil or garnish with fresh dill or chives. Enjoy!
I hope you give this vegetarian leek soup recipe a try. Share a spoon with us on our social media. If you make this recipe using the hashtag worldlytreat(#worldlytreat), we’d love to join the soirée. Also, don’t forget to pin it for later. Chat soon?
PEACE & LOVE
Leek soup: FAQ
What does leek soup taste like?
Leek soup is a rich, creamy and heartwarming soup. This leek soup is without potatoes. Therefore, its flavor is a bit different from the traditional one. This leek and parsnip soup recipe gives you a taste that offers an onion-like and a bit sweet flavor. Moreover, it also offers a spicy flavor from the parsnip. These two ingredients provide a depth of flavor and richness to this healthy soup.
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your continuous support.
Absolutely! The green part of leeks is just as edible as the white parts. The leeks' light and dark green parts are crunchy and loaded with flavors.