This BBQ bacon jam is so good you'll want to smear it on everything. This recipe features caramelized onion and shallots, BBQ sauce, and herbs with crisp bacon bits.
Reasons to Love this Recipe
- It's simple and straightforward. You don't need to be a gourmet chef to whip up this delicious condiment.
- It's a fantastic blend of sweet, savory, and smoky flavors. The crispy bacon, caramelized onions, and the smokiness of BBQ sauce create a symphony of flavors.
- It's versatile. You can spread it on burgers or sandwiches or serve it as a dip. It can jazz up everything from grilled cheese to grilled chicken.
Jams are not just for fruits anymore. You can have them with sweet or savory dishes. Have you ever tried bacon jam? Yes, bacon and jam together sounds weird, but it's delicious! If you want to expand your jam horizons, try this unusual recipe. It's a game-changer!
Ingredients of Bacon Jam
Here are the main ingredients of my Bacon jam recipe that set the pace for deliciousness.
- Bacon Strips: The hero of the show is the crispy bacon. Twenty minutes in the oven, and the crisp is to die for!
- Sugar: Something sweet to balance out the flavors and give the bacon a new dimension. You can use white or brown sugar, which is yours. Furthermore, you can use maple syrup if you don't want to use sugar. It will taste just as delicious.
- Herbs: Herbs go perfectly well with the bacon and add new flavors that don't let sugar overpower the jam. These add complexity to the jam and give it an umami flavor.
- Balsamic vinegar: The best thing about Bacon jam is that it is not overloaded with sweetness. Why? Because of the vinegar. Balsamic vinegar cut through the sweetness, balancing out every single flavor.
- BBQ sauce: Now, this ingredient is the game-changer. BBQ and bacon is a match made in heaven. So, adding BBQ sauce makes all the difference. This one ingredient makes this jam sweet and savory at the same time.
Follow these easy guide to make the best barbeque bacon jam:
Step 1: Preheat the oven, then line bacon strips on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes until crispy but not burnt. Drain the fat, chop bacon into chunks.
Step 2: Heat bacon grease on medium-low in a skillet. Add onions and cook for 15 minutes. Add pepper, garlic, salt, sugar, rosemary, and BBQ sauce. Cook for some more.
Step 3: Stir in balsamic vinegar and bacon bits. Cook for a couple of minutes, and adjust the seasoning. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Step 4: Use a food processor to pulse the mixture to your desired consistency. Transfer to a jar and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to two months. Enjoy!
How can I use bacon jam?
You can use bacon jam in a variety of ways:
- In savory or sweet waffles
- In burgers
- In salad dressings
- As a spread
- As a dip for nachos and crackers
The possibilities are endless!
Yes! Place the bacon jam in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 2 months. Make sure to store it in an air-tight container for a longer shelf life. Defrost or leave it at room temperature before serving.
Absolutely! The beauty of homemade BBQ bacon jam is that you can adjust the sweetness by varying the sugar and smokiness by choosing your preferred BBQ sauce.
You can use turkey bacon or vegetarian bacon alternatives for a lighter or meatless version. The flavor may be slightly different, but still delicious.
Peace & Love
Delicious BBQ Bacon Jam
- 1 lb bacon strips
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary (about 3 sprigs)
- Salt to taste
- ⅓ cup lightly packed brown sugar or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons barbecue sauce
- ⅔ cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Line bacon strips in a single layer on a baking sheet. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the strips are crispy but not burnt.1 lb bacon strips
- Drain the bacon fat from the pan and set aside. Chop the bacon into chunks (don’t worry, it’ll be puréed in the food processor later)
- Place a heavy bottom skillet on the stovetop. Add about 3 teaspoons of the bacon grease to the pan. Set the stove on medium-low. Add the onion and shallots. Cook for 15 minutes, staring occasionally.1 large sweet onion,, 2 shallots,
- Add the pepper, garlic, salt, sugar, rosemary, and barbecue sauce. Stir until combined. Allow cooking for another 15 minutes, occasionally stirring to avoid it from burning.Add the balsamic vinegar, scraping each side of the pan. Finally, add the bacon bits, and combine. Cook for another 7 mins. Adjust seasoning.¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon ground garlic, 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary, Salt to taste, ⅓ cup lightly packed brown sugar, 2 teaspoons barbecue sauce, ⅔ cup balsamic vinegar
- Remove from the stove and allow to cool slightly (unless your food processor allows hot food). Add the mix into the food processor and pulse for a few minutes or until it reaches your desired consistency.Transfer into a clean jar and store in the refrigerator for 4 days or into a freezer-safe container for up to two months.