Do you fancy a sip of this luscious, frothy grapefruit gin cocktail? It is slightly sweet with a tart undertone. This empress gin cocktail is perfect for springtime, a bridal shower, or a mixer.
This empress gin cocktail combines gin, Bianco vermouth, grapefruit juice, lemon bitters, and aquafaba for that fluffy foam texture. Sit back and enjoy slow sips of this cocktail all weekend long.
Why should you make this grapefruit cocktail?
- Like my smoked cranberry empress gin recipe, this is an easy gin cocktail to make at home.
- The taste is phenomenal.
- No egg white is needed to make this empress gin drink.
- It’s great to make for a crowd, like the fruity pomegranate mocktail.
If you love refreshing cocktails, then you should try my limonata drink, it's easy and oh-so fizzy!
The ingredients needed for this easy gin cocktail are listed below.
- Gin: If you can get a good quality gin for this cocktail recipe, that’d be great. I used an Empress 1908 gin because of its floral note and how it transforms from vivid indigo blue to bright lavender, soft pink, or fuchsia, depending on the mixer added.
- Blanc vermouth, also known as “Bianco, “ differs from sweet vermouth. It is less overpowering and has an intricate sweetness to it.
- Grapefruit juice: I highly recommend using fresh grapefruit since it has no added ingredients and tastes fresh.
- Simple syrup: preferably an unflavored syrup. I used a light-colored syrup because of the look I was going for; feel free to use whatever you have on hand. You can make this empress gin cocktail recipe without syrup if you don’t like a sweet cocktail since the Bianco has a slight sweetness.
- Lemon bitters: this adds a bright citrus flavor to the cocktail. There is hardly a substitute for this, so I’ll provide a recipe link below to make one if you can’t find one.
- Aquafaba: a.k.a, chickpea juice, is the juice from canned chickpeas. Use one egg white as a substitute if you don’t have one.
Please refer to the recipe card for the exact measurements.
How to make this empress gin cocktail
Step 1: Dry shake- Place all the ingredients in a shaker without ice and shake well.
Step 2: Add ice into the shaker and shake vigorously until frosted.
Step 3: Strain the cocktail into individual tall serving glasses.
Step 4: Dress with grapefruit or lemon twist.
*Please Sip responsibly!*
How do you froth aquafaba?
Aquafaba is a vegan egg white substitute for cocktails. Aquafaba is the juice found in a can of chickpeas. It tastes nothing like chickpeas and is perfect for this gin-based cocktail. Adding aquafaba creates a frothy foam, giving the cocktail a signature look.
To froth aquafaba:
First, strain the juice from a can of chickpeas.
Next, add it into a cocktail shaker or airtight container with a lid, add the rest of the ingredients, and give it a vigorous shake for up to 30 seconds for it to aerate. Strain into a serving glass, and enjoy!
Nothing warms my heart like a simple but refreshing winter cocktail. I strongly suggest using fresh grapefruit, which adds a beautiful hue and tastes fresh.
Tips on making gin sour ahead of time
- It’s best to consume this winter cocktail recipe immediately.
- Don't skip the dry shake method if you like a frothy top. It gives a foamier texture to the cocktail.
- Double or triple the grapefruit gin cocktail recipe to serve it at a party or more extensive crowd. Combine everything but the aquafaba in a jar with a tight lid. Once ready to serve, add aquafaba and ice and mix away per two servings.
How to make Lemon Bitters at home
It’s cheaper to buy one from a liquor store or amazon (check out this one), but if you can’t find one where you live, here is a link from the serious eats website to guide you in making lemon bitters home.
Some flavors that mix with grapefruits are:
Champagne, sparkling white wine
Grand Marnier, rum, tequila, vodka
Orange, Pomegranate, strawberries, raspberries, Pineapples, Papaya, Melons
Empress 1908 Gin
Victoria Amber Gin
Ransom Old Tom Gin
Kraft Hopped Grapefruit Gin
Palmer dry Gin
Glendalough Irish Rose Gin
I hope you’ll give this grapefruit gin cocktail recipe a try. Share a sip with us on social media using the hashtag worldlytreat(#worldlytreat). We’d love to join the soirée. Also, don’t forget to pin it for later. Chat soon?
PEACE & LOVE
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you purchase after clicking on a link, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost. Thanks for your continuous support.
GRAPEFRUIT GIN SOUR (no eggs)
- Place all the ingredients in a shaker without ice and shake well. Add ice into the shaker and shake vigorously until frosted.
- Strain into two cocktail serving glasses. Dress with grapefruit or lemon twist. Please Sip responsibly!