If you love the classic sangria recipe, this pomegranate mocktail is for you! The combination of tart cranberry, sweet pomegranate, and citrus fruits makes this refreshing mocktail a great choice for the whole family.
Reasons to love this Recipe
Easy: It’s easy to mix up, like my pomegranate cider martini.
Kid Friendly: It’s great for the whole family!
Fresh ingredients: It uses fresh fruits for a great-tasting Sangria Mocktail
It’s versatile: spruce this pomegranate mocktail with your favorite berries, sparklers, or soda. Take it up a notch and make a boozy version while the kids sip on the non-alcoholic sangria.
Great for large gatherings: Although this recipe is for 4 servings, you can make it in a bigger pitcher and serve it at your next mixer or party.
Enjoy year-round: It’s great to enjoy it year-round. That’s right! I made this cranberry juice mocktail using readily available fruits. Using pomegranate and cranberry juice makes it easy to enjoy this mocktail year-round. The cranberries can always be found in the freezer section at the grocery store. I buy them in season and freeze them for later, so they come in handy.
Here are some of the main ingredients needed to make this virgin sangria:
Juice: I used a combination of 100% pomegranate and cranberry juice without any added sugar. If you get one with added sugar, you can skip adding the simple syrup unless you like your citrus drink too sweet.
Citrus: if possible, use freshly squeezed juice from whole lime and lemon, not from concentrate. This adds a tart flavor to the pomegranate drink.
Club Soda: I prefer using club soda for this drink because of its neutral flavor. It also adds a bubbly finish making this cocktail fun for parties.
Rosemary adds a distinct aromatic flavor to the mocktail, especially when you leave it to sit out longer.
Here is how to make a pomegranate mocktail:
Step 1: Slice the lemon, orange, and lime. We want nice uniform slices, preferably rounded.
Step 2: Add the cranberry, sliced fruits, and rosemary to the pitcher.
Step 3: Add the cran-pomegranate juice, freshly squeezed lime, lemon juice, and simple syrup into a cocktail glass or tall glass. Give it a stir.
Step 4: Pour the virgin sangria mix into the pitcher with fruits. Allow it to sit in the refrigerator for up to an hour. It tastes even better when it sits for longer.
Step 5: fill a serving glass with crushed ice.
Step 6: Strain the mocktail mix through the serving glass ¾ way full, then top with club soda. Garnish and serve immediately.
Tips for Success
- If you don’t want club soda, use sparkling mineral water, tonic water, or seltzer. Ginger ale is another choice, but it might alter the taste of the sparkling pomegranate mocktail.
- Instead of ice cubes that could easily water down the pomegranate juice mocktail, use frozen fruit to add extra fruity flavor to the virgin sangria.
- If you don’t have simple syrup readily available, make one at home from scratch. Mix equal parts water with sugar, and heat up on the stovetop until it dissolves. Cool before combining with the rest of the ingredients. For an extra boost of flavor, add rosemary sprigs into the syrup to make rosemary syrup.
What flavors go best with pomegranate
Pomegranate pairs so well with these flavors:
- Middle Eastern cuisines
- Stewed dishes: Chicken or beef curries
- Dishes with Animal protein: lamb, beef, fish, pork, chicken, and turkey
- Salads: cucumber, fruit, arugula, avocado, beets
- Spices: cardamom, allspice, cloves, coriander, cumin, ginger, nutmeg,
- Desserts with these flavors: banana, beets, white chocolate, coconut, grapefruit, and orange
Fruits to add in Virgin Sangria
The best part about making sangria is how versatile it is. You can make it anytime and use seasonal fruits to spruce it up for added flavors. Looking to add more fruits to your virgin sangria? Try these selections:
Berries: strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries.
Other fruits like apples, pears, and pineapple can be added for the ultimate winter sip.
Citrus: kumquat, grapefruits, blood oranges, tangerines.
A mocktail is a mixed drink made without alcoholic content but fancy enough to mimic a cocktail. In comparison, a cocktail is an alcoholic beverage containing liquor.
A good cocktail and mocktail are made up of strong flavors, sweet or sour, and a punch of one or more spirits, liquors, and a mixer.
Yes! Add a splash or an ounce of alcoholic beverages to this virgin sangria. Tequila pairs well with pomegranate and wines like port, red, and white.
LOVE EASY DRINKS? HERE ARE SOME RELATED DRINK RECIPES TO TRY:
If you made this cranberry juice mocktail, share a sip with us on our social media using the hashtag worldlytreat (#worldlytreat), we'd love to join the soirée. Also, don't forget to pin it for later. Chat soon?
Peace & Love
- Shaker or mixing cup
- Pitcher or medium-sized shallow bowl
- Cutting board
- 4 cups Cran-pomegranate juice
- 1 oz. simple syrup
- 2 oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1.5 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice from 1 lime
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- 1 whole orange sliced thinly
- 1 whole lemon sliced thinly
- 1 whole lime sliced thinly
- ½ cup fresh or frozen cranberry optional
- Place the sliced fruits, cranberry, and rosemary sprigs in a pitcher or shallow bowl.
- Mix the pomegranate and cranberry juice into a cocktail glass, and add the freshly squeezed lemon, lime juice, and simple syrup. Give it a nice stir.
- Pour the mix into the pitcher. Allow to sit for up to an hour or overnight for the citrus and herbs to infuse more (this is optional).
- Strain the mocktail drink into a serving glass with ice. Fill about ¾ way up, then top with club soda. Enjoy immediately or refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days.
- If you don’t want club soda, use sparkling mineral water, tonic water, or seltzer. Ginger ale is another choice, but it might alter the taste of the mocktail.
- Make the simple syrup at home by mixing equal cups of water and sugar on the stovetop until it dissolves. Cool before combining with the rest of the ingredients. For an extra boost of flavor, add rosemary sprigs into the syrup to make rosemary syrup.
- Double or triple this recipe to serve more people. Add the club soda once ready to serve, but not beforehand.
Leave a Reply